Newsletter Signup


Gibraltar’s Women’s National Team played out a game of two halves yesterday as they left Andorra’s Estadi Nacional disappointed following a 4-1 defeat to the hosts.

Gibraltar, whose performance did not warrant being on the wrong end of  a 4-1 scoreline, would rally in the second half and go on to dominate possession, a positive which will no doubt be taken into Sunday’s match against Faroe Islands.

Andorra started the match the better of the two sides, with the pair of Morato and Ruzafa, who would go onto cause Gibraltar the most problems throughout the match, both going close to opening the scoring in the first 10 minutes were it not for the repeated intervention of Kyrelle Revagliatte.

In fact, it would be Morato who would give the hosts the lead in the 13th minute as she was given time and space on the edge of the penalty area, which allowed her to pick her spot and fire the ball into the top corner to make it 1-0.

Unfortunately for Gibraltar, it was a quick one-two punch by Morato who would go on to double the lead for the hosts minutes later when she pounced on a loose ball in the penalty area and slotted it into the bottom corner of Revagliatte’s goal.

Despite the 2-0 scoreline, Gibraltar did look dangerous in attack, particularly down the left wing where Charlyann Pizzarello and debutant Ellie Mason were linking up well and causing Andorra’s backline all kinds of problems.

With this being said, Gibraltar were unable to take advantage of their left-wing dominance and in the 26thminute found themselves 3-0 down.

Morato again involved, this time turning provider, the midfielder drilled the ball across goal and into the path of Ruzafa who tapped the ball into the net to stretch Andorra’s lead.

The goal would see Gibraltar make a slight change to their formation which stunted Andorra’s attack and made themselves harder to break down.

The formation change seemed to invite Andorra to press higher up the pitch which in turn freed up the likes of Shania Robba and Joelle Gilbert who Gibraltar looked to use in counter-attacking situations.

With this being said, Gibraltar found themselves falling victim to Andorra’s offside trap and in the 38th minute found themselves 4-0 down as a set piece routine found the head of Fernandez free at the back post.

The fourth goal would prove to be Andorra’s last of the match as Gibraltar tightened things up at the back for the remainder of the half and deservedly got themselves on the scoresheet minutes before half time.

A powerful run by Pizzarello, which started in her own penalty area, saw her link up with Robba before bursting into Andorra’s box and cutting a ball across goal for Gilbert to tap in.

The goal was a well deserved reward for Gibraltar, who despite conceding 4, did cause the Andorra defence problems throughout the half.

The second half saw Gibraltar press on following their promising end to the first 45, as Janssen Olivero’s team kept possession well and kept the door closed at the back with their defence limiting Andorra’s opportunities in attack.

Andorra struggled to carve any chances out in the second half, however, when they did get through, Revagliatte was there to ensure the score remained unchanged as she pulled off a remarkable reflex save in the 64th minute to deny Ruzafa from notching a second from point blank range.

The second half also saw Mason take up a deeper role as she continued to have a positive influence over the Gibraltar outfit, as did Pizzarello whose tireless running proved a constant menace for the Andorra defenders.

In addition to the improved Gibraltar performance, the second half would also allow for Naomi Victor, Tiana Borrell, Isabella Laguea, Zoe Ballantine and Mollie Karp all to make appearances off the bench.

Next up for Gibraltar is a clash with Faroe Islands on Sunday 20th February at the Victoria Stadium.