Newsletter Signup


Two goals in two minutes at the end of the second half saw Lincoln Red Imps FC snatch the Rock Cup from the jaws of defeat, with strikes from substitutes Esteban Añon and Kian Ronan sealing a league and cup double for the Red Imps.

A somewhat even affair throughout the first half, FCB Magpies would create the majority of the attacking chances in the first 45, with Juan Pablo Sastrie proving a constant menace to the Lincoln Red Imps backline.

In fact, Sastrie almost opened the scoring on a number of occasions, with Bernardo Lopes showing great defensive instinct to block an attempt with his chest early in the match, before Coleing’s left-hand post came to the rescue for Lincoln following great build up play by FCB Magpies and a subsequent Sastrie volley.

In addition to their attacking outlay, FCB Magpies, who have undergone somewhat of a revolution under the management of Nathan Rooney, were resolute in defence throughout the first 45 minutes, with their relentless pressing and organised backline denying Lincoln Red Imps a single attempt on target in the half.   

With this being said, the match remained a very open and even affair, as both sides kept the ball well and went about trying to carve out chances on goal.

FCB Magpies however would eventually make their attacking chances count as they grabbed the opening goal in first half injury time, through dangerman Sastrie.

A clearance from Kyle Casciaro was not dealt with by the Lincoln Red Imps back line and was picked up by the FCB Magpies striker 30-yards from goal. With the Lincoln defenders standing off him, Sastrie wound up, seemingly catching Coleing off-guard, and hammering in the opening goal of the Rock Cup Final into the top corner seconds before half-time.  

The second half was a rather scrappier affair as Lincoln, who were in search of the equaliser, began to crank up the pressure on FCB Magpies, pressing higher and with more intensity.

With this being said, David Zamora in the FCB Magpies net again remained relatively untested throughout the half, with his side remaining resolute in defence and committed to keeping out the Lincoln onslaught in front of him.

As the minutes ticked on Lincoln continued to push higher and higher for the equaliser, with head coach, Mick McElwee using his strength in depth to keep things fresh on the pitch and it was this that proved key for Lincoln, as substitutes Esteban Añon, Scott Wiseman and Kian Ronan all had direct hands in what would be an incredible last-ditch Lincoln comeback.

First was the turn of Añon who in the 90th minute looked to have sent the Rock Cup Final into extra-time. Powerful running down the left-wing by Lincoln living-legend Lee Casciaro resulted in the veteran pulling the ball back into the box and into the path of the substitute who pounced to smash it into the net to make it 1-1.

Following the equaliser, it looked set to go to extra-time at the Victoria Stadium, but there was one final twist to be had as Lincoln would go on to clinch the Rock Cup at the death.

In typical Scott Wiseman fashion, the substitute passed the ball down the right wing before making an overlapping run and regathering the ball on the edge of the FCB Magpies penalty area. The right-back looked up before floating a ball into the box where fellow substitute Ronan, climbed highest and headed the ball down into the bottom corner of the goal to make it 2-1.

Lincoln would see out the remaining minutes of injury-time rather comfortably to secure another league and cup double.