Newsletter Signup


The Victoria Stadium was full of spectators once again last night as Glacis United FC sealed their place in next month’s Rock Cup Final after they beat Manchester 62 FC 1-0 thanks to a solitary first half goal from Marquez.

The opening minutes of the game were evenly split as both sides enjoyed spells of possession and wrestled for early control of the game.

With this being said, Glacis United slowly began to grab the game by the scruff of the neck and registered the first attempt on target in the 10th minute as Gallo shot from distance and tested the handling of Vinales in the Manchester 62 goal.

Glacis United continued to largely control the game following their early attempt, eventually taking the lead in the 33rd minute through Marquez.

The striker merely had to tap the ball into an empty net after Nwosu's shot from distance nearly caught out Vinales. The Manchester 62 goalkeeper stretched high and managed to tip the long-range effort onto the bar, only for it to bounce back into the path of Marquez who nodded the ball into the net.


The goal only seemed to reinvigorate the blue-kitted Glacis United who, after taking the lead, looked the more dominant side and continued to press Manchester 62 high up the pitch until the referee blew for half-time.

A similar start to the game awaited spectators in the second half as both sides wrestled for control of the game but it was Glacis United FC that had the first chance of the second 45 minute period as Gallo was played through on goal.

The Glacis winger was played in behind the Manchester 62 defence but failed to get a good connection with the ball thus allowing Vinales to make a relatively routine stop at his near post.

It wasn’t all Glacis United in the second half though as Manchester 62’s Pereira stung the hands of Zappacosta after bursting through down the left flank, however, the side in blue looked the more likely to score and almost did so again in the 65th minute after Nwosu beat his man down the flank before cutting in and whistling a shot just wide of Vinales goal.

With this being said, Manchester 62 continued to grow into the game as the clocked ticked on and almost had the scores level with 20 minutes to go.


Played in behind, Farmer tested the onrushing Zappacosta whose intervention saw the ball ricochet into the path of Pizarro. The striker looked to dink the keeper and his attempt looked destined to equal the score-line were it not for the last-minute intervention of Thorne-Llambias who arrived on the scene to head the ball to safety.

Manchester 62 FC took encouragement from their near chance and continued to press on in search of an equaliser that they almost found in the final minutes.

A corner into the box cannoned off a host of players before falling at the feet of Sanchez who swivelled on the spot and released a volley goal-bound that required the quick reflexes of Zappacosta to keep out.

The near chance proved to be the last of the game and after 5 minutes of injury time at the end of the half, the referee blew for full-time and confirmed Glacis United's qualification into next month's Rock Cup Final.