Newsletter Signup


Julio Ribas made 10 changes to the side that were so impressive against Norway as the Uruguayan handed first starts in a Gibraltar shirt Julian Valarino and Jamie Bosio and Anthony Moulds who made his international debut. 



The game got off to a tough start for Gibraltar at the Stadion pod Goricom as Montenegro piled on the pressure from the get go.

The home team were knocking the ball about the grass turf with speed and precision as they looked to overwhelm Gibraltar’s defence from minute one.

The style of play from Montenegro saw them create three chances in the opening 15 minutes with Kyle Goldwin proving more than a match for them as he kept Gibraltar level and the scores at 0-0. 

Unfortunately for Gibraltar the home side eventually found their way into the lead in the 26th minute as Montenegro captain Fatos Beqiraj latched onto a loose ball that has come off the post and tapped it in from point blank range.

Despite going behind Gibraltar did not let their heads drop and responded excellently as they had the ball in the back of the net minutes later through a bullet Erin Barnett header following a brilliant cross into the box by Alain Pons.

Controversially however, the referee had blown for a Gibraltar penalty before the ball had crossed the line and as a result the goal was chalked off and Reece Styche took charge of pressure penalty.

The Gibraltar number nine calmly stepped up to the plate and sent goalkeeper Milan Mijatovic the wrong way as he slotted the ball down the right to level the score at 1-1 after half an hour.

After Gibraltar drew level Montengro again piled on the pressure and pressed forward, knocking the ball about quickly and testing Goldwin on multiple occasions.

The Gibraltar keeper had performed admirably in the first half and five minutes before the break produced an outstanding diving save to his left to keep the scores level.

Unfortunately for Gibraltar however they couldn’t hang on and wet into the break 2-1 down after Marko Simic was left unmarked in the box and climbed highest to head home Montenegro’s second.

The start to the second half saw Montenegro look to kill the game off as they introduced talisman Stevan Jovetic into the fray.

The AS Monaco striker had an immediate impact drawing a fine save from Goldwin who dived high to his right and tipped a curling goal-bound effort round the post for a corner.

Unfortunately for Gibraltar, Montenegro scored a third from the resulting corner as a deep ball into the box found Marko Tomasevic who climbed high and powered it past Goldwin who couldn’t react until the ball was over the line.

Despite what the score-line would suggest Gibraltar were performing admirably in Montenegro and kept the hosts, who were going in search of a fourth, frustrated.

It wasn’t all defending for Gibraltar either as Julio Ribas’ men were not only solid at the back, but were looking to get the ball on the ground and play through their hosts.

With this being, Gibraltar was unable to stop Montenegro from netting a fourth as Jovetic, who had been hunting a goal since his introduction at half-time, got himself on the scoresheet after powering a free-kick past Goldwin. 4-1 to the hosts in the 80th minute

Montenegro continued to push for a fifth in the final 10 minutes and almost had it again through Jovetic who rattled the bar in injury time with a vicious left footed effort.

This would be the closest then hosts came to a fifth and the game ended 4-1 when the referee blew for full time minutes later.

Despite the result there were positives to be taken from the game as Gibraltar looked solid defensively for the majority of the match as they kept their shape well and harried the Montenegro players.

Additionally, aside from the three starting debutants, Ribas also handed a debut to youngster Dylan Borge who was introduced midway through the second half.

Gibraltar now set their sights back home as they welcome the arrival of The Netherlands on March 30.