Refereeing has changed a lot over the last few years. Gone are the days where very few games had a referee at grassroots level and the well-intentioned volunteer with any old whistle would referee the game standing in the centre circle and wearing ordinary clothes.
We are developing referees on a weekly basis. It may be one of our top referees and his team of match officials officiating in our 1st Division or newly qualified referees going out to do their first match. We are supporting and developing them each week.
We conduct development sessions for our grassroots referees where they are tested on fitness and the Laws of the Game. We want to double the number of grassroots referees.
Each year we recruit referees. Many quickly enter development groups and start to progress as referees. We offer fitness training, educational sessions and accelerated development schemes.
However, we are also looking for referees, both male and female, to officiate in our numerous youth leagues, women’s development league and futsal competitions as we continue to improve the game in Gibraltar at all levels.
We are interested in people who want a challenging role in football but one where we will support the newly qualified referee to match whatever ambitions he/she may have.
As a referee you will;
- Learn more about the Game
- Build confidence
- Develop man management skills
- Be part of the Game
- Maintaining Fitness
- Make new friends
- Earn a little extra money
A Referee Beginners’ Course which will be run from Monday 28th January to Friday 1st February 2019 –evenings 5pm to 9pm - @ The Annexe, Victoria Stadium
Who is it for?: This course is open to anyone who is interested in refereeing football matches over the age of 15 years.
- Course aims and objectives: The course provides participants with an insight to the Laws of the Game and their practical application on the field of play. It also looks at the skills required to be a referee.
- Leading to: Registered Referee Status (either Category 4 Youth Referee or Category 3 Referee - grassroots )
The course consists the following elements - Theory/Practical Delivery:
- The Key skills required to be a football referee
- Theoretical information of the 17 Laws of the Game
- Practical work covering implementation of the laws
- The art of positioning and movement
- Management strategies and ideas on effective decision-making
- Officiating 3 games of football
- Effective reporting misconduct
- Assessment Of Knowledge
Practical Involvement: Candidates are encouraged to participate practically to maximise their opportunities for learning.
Additional learning opportunities: Futsal Referee Course
To enrol in this Referees’ Course please email email@example.com or alternatively contact the GFA Referee Manager Adrian Bacarisa Tel 20042941